It is our mission to make available the local demand for public Internet access. Our facility has 20 public computers in the Computer Lab, and 6 public computers in the Children's Computer Lab (12 & under). Both labs offer FREE internet service with a library card. We also provide FREE Wi-Fi that extends into our Cafe and Meeting Rooms.
Laptops are also available for checkout. They can be checked out under the following conditions: Must be an adult (18yrs & older), have a current Library Card with zero fines, have a valid form of Identification, and have filled out the laptop user agreement. They can be checked out for up to three hours and for in Library Use Only.
Library computers may be used for ONE hour per day, per member. Members must present a valid San Joaquin Valley Library System Card and have a zero balance on their account before they will be allowed to access the Internet.
Statement of Purpose:
The Tulare Public Library provides public access to the Internet as part of its mission to deliver services and materials to meet the information needs of all citizens. Users are responsible for critically evaluating the information found on the Internet.
As with other library materials, Library staff does not monitor what any user views or reads on the Internet. It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian to guide his or her own child's use of the Internet. Parents are encouraged to learn how to access the Internet along with their children, so that they may help guide the child toward appropriate and useful information. Please see the library's Internet Safety Tips for more helpful information.
In an attempt to block access to Internet sites which display obscene material, the Tulare Public Library contracts with a vendor that utilizes a proxy server to filter all search requests. In most cases, this can be overridden by staff for adult users (18 years or above) using the computer for research.
Internet Use Rules and Procedures
Before logging in all, patrons must accept the "Use Agreement for Internet Access"
- Time limit is 60 minutes per day. Maximum of two (2) people per terminal.
- Printing is available at a rate of ten cents (.10) per page for Black/White and fifty cents (.50) for Color.
- Patrons may not use the computer if more than ten ($10) dollars is owed on their card.
- Guest passes are available for patrons visiting from out of the area.
- Regular patrons must have their own card; they may not use anyone else's card.
- Reservations can be made up to 1 business day in advance, in person.
- Staff may extend time for persons making use of computers for special tasks that require extended time.
- Customers are not allowed to access pornographic or obscene sites. Willfully breaking this rule will result in the loss of computer access for minimum of one month or possible permanent termination of computer access.
- Parents, guardians, or staff may report an incident to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at
1-800-843-5678 or local authorities if one becomes aware of the transmission of child pornography.
- Please be considerate of those around you! Talking on cell phones, crying or loud children, etc. disrupts others who are trying to use the workstations.
Violations of this Policy
The library is providing this service free of charge. Please be considerate of the equipment and other users. Users who do not follow these rules and procedures will lose Internet access privileges at the library. The Library staff reserves the right to terminate any Internet session at any time.